Annual Outage Analysis 2023
The avoidance of outages is a priority for operators of mission-critical digital infrastructure. In recent years, this has also been a bigger issue for regulators and market authorities. This report brings together and analyzes recent Uptime Institute data on outage trends, causes, costs and consequences.
- Data relating to outages should be treated skeptically. All methodologies to track the frequency, severity and costs of outages are subject to uncertainty, partly because of a lack of transparency and reliable reporting mechanisms.
- There is evidence that outage rates have been gradually falling in recent years. Although most sites have experienced an outage in the past three years, only a small proportion are serious or severe.
- When outages do occur, they are becoming more expensive, a trend that is likely to continue as dependency on digital services increases. With more than two-thirds of all outages costing more than $100,000, the business case for investing more in resiliency — and training — is becoming stronger.
- Professional third-party digital infrastructure companies — cloud, colocation, telecommunications and hosting companies — account for a growing proportion of outages. This reflects the growing role and importance of these companies.
- Human error and management failures contribute to a considerable number of outages. More training and investment in management processes is required.
- Andy Lawrence, Executive Director of Research
- Lenny Simon, Senior Research Associate
Looking for the webinar?
MORE ABOUT UPTIME INSTITUTE MEMBERSHIPThis report is just one of a number of resources available to Uptime Institute Members.
Uptime Institute Membership provides a platform for continuous education and professional development across your team through a mix of virtual and in-person events, exclusive research, briefings with our Uptime Institute Intelligence organization and a rich community of your peers to share learnings and best practices across the industry, on a global basis.
LEARN MORE ABOUT MEMBERSHIP